Sarcomas are rare. It is therefore very important to find physicians who have experience with this disease. These are the criteria a sarcoma centre should fulfill:
- A multidisciplinary sarcoma medical team consisting of all specialties including surgical (orthopaedic, general, reconstructive), medical oncologists, radiation oncologists (radiotherapy), diagnostic radiologists, pathologists, oncology nurses and rehabilitation services.
- Access to thoracic surgical specialists (to treat lung metastases), intervention radiology (e.g. RFA), and genomic testing. Referral networks giving patients access to ILP (isolated limb perfusion) and proton beam therapy.
- At least one group member who belongs to a sarcoma-oriented medical organization, such as the Connective Tissue Oncology Society (CTOS).
- Sarcoma conferences (e.g. Tumor Board), where sarcoma group members meet regularly to discuss patient care issues.
- MRI imaging available; PET scans desired.
- Patient enrollment in clinical trials.
- Publications concerning sarcoma in peer-reviewed journals.
- Strong support personnel such as social workers, psychologists and psychiatrists.
- Sarcoma support group desired.
Please contact your national sarcoma patient organization for information about sarcoma centers in your country.
SPAEN has started to compile a list with sarcoma centers per country. Please note that the list does not claim to be exhaustive and is under current process.
- Germany: https://www.oncomap.de/centers?selectedOrgan=Sarkome
Please be aware that a significant number of centers are currently within the certification process!
- For the UK, Sarcoma UK has listed sarcoma specialist centres/multidisciplinary teams (MDT) here:
- Sarcoma Centers in Australia and New Zealand see here:
- For Italy:
https://www.retesarcoma.it/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/centri-oncologia-medica_ed11.11.19.pdf (list of oncological centers with open clinical trials)
https://www.retesarcoma.it/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/centri-chirurgia-oncologica-sarcomi_ed11.11.19.pdf (list of surgery centers)
https://www.retesarcoma.it/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/centri-radioterapia-alta-special_ed11.11.19.pdf (list of advanced radiotherapy centers)